Friday, January 10, 2014

A Day in the Life of Campbell:Day 2 Breakfast/Banana

My healthy little monkey...




I don't know why I first decided to start giving Bug bananas for breakfast. But now, it seems, it is his morning staple.

Used to it was accompanied by mommy milk, his favorite companion to any meal for 18 months. But since we weened him at Christmas and his Neano and Daddy-O helped me find some substitutions for his former favored accompaniment he enjoys cheesy eggs, toast with peanut butter, oranges or yogurt as well. Sometimes he gets a few bites of the Starbucks treats his Dada brings home on occasion. But almost always he has his banana.

In those first few months of eating solid foods it was a fruit I could easily mash and feed with a spoon. In fact, come to think of it, it may have been his first food. I remember how he shrieked away from its sweet taste upon the very first bite, an early sugar rush! But quickly he came back for seconds and cleaned his plate.

Next came the chopped up pieces as he began to self feed with finger foods. His sweet Dada, who worries so about choking, always wanted me to cut it up so small that Campbell would almost get frustrated at the tiny bites.

I think it was on our beach trip to Santa Rosa Island that he had his first true bite from a peeled banana that he could hold in his little hand. I was nervous that he was taking bites that were too big, but he did well. He was growing into such a big boy right before our eyes.

I hope he always eats so well in the mornings. So many kids turn their noses up to things that are not sugar coated and processed. I am proud of my little man for being such a good eater.

It has been sad in a way to ween him from his mommy milk, but I truly believe that the 18 months we spent nursing together not only bonded us and helped his brain growth but also helped to start him out enjoying a healthy, well balanced, non-processed diet. I look forward to watching him grow in his love for healthy eating as he encourages me to watch what I put in my mouth as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment